Pages

Monday, March 19, 2007

Who are they - これ一体何の動物!?! 


This past Friday was my last day at a large animal hospital at Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine, located in Tuskegee, Alabama, approximately 15 miles from Auburn where we live. Tuskegee University is a historical black college, founded by Booker T. Washington, and I will make a post in the near future to tell you more about it - I promise!

So let's go back to the question in the title - did anybody have a clue? They are alpacas, originally from the Andes mountains in Latin America, and related to llamas. We had 4 of them last week for castration, hoof trimming and some dental work (floating of the fighting teeth). Their fleece was thick (5-6 inches) but not greasy and unscented. They were quite nice but nervous, and their quick kicks.... oh.... you'd better watch out.

We also had 2 horses for eye surgery (both squamous cell carcinoma), and one cow with OB problem (uterine prolapse), which delivered a calf the following day. One of the horses was so nervous that it was put under general anesthesia for the procedure (vet folks - it was done with sevoflurane, the ET tube was size 22, the reservoir bag was 30 liter, and they breathe only once or twice every minute when under). All of these cost us 3 night watches in a row, that means we work regular hours, AND come during the night for 3 hours, then back again in the morning. Having a child does not give you any privilege unfortunately - it turned out that everybody in our rotation has one or two child(ren), the youngest was 6 months. We had a good team and although I am glad that I don't have to do night watches any more, I miss going there. I will be leaving this coming Friday for the exam.



And our little Misha.... she is doing fine, enjoying the spring weather (high: 78 F). She started saying something like " mine" pointing herself, imitating Papa Temesgen (he often does that when Misha tries to touch his computer, etc). She also learned to bring her dirty diapers to a trash can. Well, it is a good habit, you would think, but I ended up digging trash bags searching for my watch right before the garbage collection one day(thank goodness - I found my watch in the first bag I opened). Oh yes, we are having fun.


Oh, we have some good news to share with you- Temesgen's brother and his wife are coming to Auburn to stay with us until school starts! They will arrive right after I leave for the exam (I will be gone for 10 days), so Temesgen won't be left alone. We are so excited to spend some time with them. And for those who knew about the 2 years requirement to stay in the country of origin.... I am so happy to announce that it is now officially waived! It's been a few years since Temesgen first tried to solve this issue, and I now call Temesgen 'Mr.Free-man.'


Anyways we will see you on this blog early April - take care and enjoy the spring!


まずは先週の金曜日に、実習を終えた大動物病院より。

先週は、馬2頭の眼の手術、題にある4頭のアルパカ(南米のアンデス山脈に住むらくだ類の動物で、ラマより少し小さい)の去勢、歯と蹄の処置、それから出産を翌日に控えて産科系の問題(子宮脱)が出た牛をはじめ、セミナー出席で生徒の多くが学校を休んでいるため人出不足となり、3夜連続、3時間ずつ夜中の見張り当番があって、本当にめまぐるしい(半分ふらふら状態の)1週間だった。でも無事、すべての動物が退院手続きとなって肩の荷は下り、4週間にわたる大動物病院の実習は幕を閉じた。


この大動物病院、教授陣を含め臨床医6名という小さな規模だが、そのうち5名は米黒人のドクターである。タスキギー大学は歴史的黒人大学であるため、金髪白人が大半を占めるアメリカ・獣医界に優秀な有色人種ドクターを送り出す役割も担っている。ドイツのハノーバー大学の牛専門病院も半数以上が女性ドクターだったが、このタスキギー大動物病院も臨床医6名のうち、半数の3名は女性ドクター。臨床医全員、獣医として優秀なだけでなく、「獣医を育てる」ということに焦点を置いている。有色人種プラス女性という、一昔前の2重ハンデ(女性は今獣医界の大半を占める)をおって、今の地位まで登ってきた彼女達、スタミナとがんばりは並外れている。こういう教授陣、臨床医を身近に見ながら、タスキギーの獣医学生は育っていく。



そして我が家のミーシャ。今日も元気に保育所へいった。最近、おむつかぶれがひどくなり、おかしいな、と思っていたら、案の定「イースト菌感染症」の診断。中耳炎で抗生物質を飲んで腸の細菌バランスが崩れたのと、もとのおむつかぶれで皮膚の防御機能が弱くなっていたため、もともと皮膚にひっそり住んでいるイースト菌が、大増殖してしまったのである。トイレ・トレーニングをはじめて(まだ練習中)、軟膏を塗って、9割元通りだけど、小さい体でやっぱりかわいそう。春も来たことだし、この一連の病院通いとおさらばしたいねー、ミーシャ。

当然のことだけれど、最近、またいろいろできることが増えた。使ったおむつをゴミ箱に持っていって捨てる(私の腕時計も捨てられて、ゴミ回収車の来る朝にゴミ箱をあさる羽目になったけど、無事発見!危ない危ない・・・)、自分のことを指差して「マイン、マイン」と自分の物だと主張(そうじゃないものも)、それからなぜか、「プリティー」を連呼する。この「プリティー」、リの部分をリリリと舌を巻いて、ティーの部分が「チー」になっているけれど、もし本当にかわいいと思ってプレティーといっているなら、ナルシストで末恐ろしい。でも相変わらずの大食漢で、昨日も家でお豆のスープを食べてから遊びに出かけたのに、出先でエチオピア料理を出されて、どんどんお代わり。おかげで見事な「出ッ腹」です。
今週の金曜日から計9日間、テメスゲンとミーシャをおいてサンディエゴ経由でラスベガスの実技試験に出かける。どうなることやら、と思ったけれど、テメスゲンの弟さんとお嫁さんがしばらく我が家に住むことになり(今はワシントンにいる)、私が出かけた次の日にアラバマに来るのでその心配も半減。外交的なミーシャのこと、テメスゲンの負担も減って、みんなで仲良くやるだろう。
この実技試験、ラスベガスでの合格率が低いことは前回書いたけれど、ストレスは相当なものらしい。実際、手術のテスト中に心臓発作を起こした人、試験中に失神して救急病院に運ばれた人などもいて、他の試験会場に比べて「必要以上に緊張させる」というクレームが多いという。だけど、サンディエゴで2泊して友達に会う予定だし、もう変更できないのだからやるしかない。一回で全科目受かるとは思えないけれど、今回の試験準備に向けてたくさんの人たちに助けてもらったので、感謝の気もちも含めて、なるべく多くの科目をパスできたらいいなと思う。
次の投稿は4月上旬予定。それまで皆さん、春を満喫してね。日本からのお花見報告、楽しみにしてます。





3 comments:

Haru-mama said...

I don't know what's wrong with my computer but I can't seem to add a comment in Japanese today. At any rate, thanks for all the udpates! Glad to hear that Misha's infection is clearing up. You have to videotape her when she says "pretty" & post it somehow; I'd love to see it! We're so looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Harumama/Haru/Bailey/Tochan.

maki said...

ミーシャの写真を見ると、こんなに大きくなった!とか、可愛くなってるって会話が一つ増えるよ。じいとグランマも写真を争って見てますよ。

naonao said...

まず一つ目の写真で「何じゃこれっ!?」と目をむきビックリしたわ。世界はまだまだ広い(^_^;いろんな動物が居るのね。

ミーシャもいたずらをしはじめたのね(汗)うちの3号は歯が上下8本だったとこからまた増え始めているよ。犬歯とか奥歯が出てきているよ。

女の子はやはり「かわいい」という言葉が大好き!(長女で経験済み)褒めて褒めて褒めちぎって、いうこと聞いてもらってるわ